Nothing is as interesting as a photo that tells a story. That draws you in. Makes you look around and admire the details and brings back some memories. In this workshop, I did a photo series of my Grandmother’s button box (I’ll post that just below). I posted the photos before this workshop came out, to my social media sites, to see how people might react to the series. I was blown away. It was probably the photos with the most comments I’ve had all year. People from all over the world commenting on how they too had their grandmothers, great grandmothers, or their own button box collections. It never occurred to me that someone on the other side of the planet might have the same good memories I had as a child from an item as simple as a button box. This set of photos brought up so many good childhood memories of playing in the boxes, looking at the buttons, wondering the stories of each button, check out some of the comments below:
“Love this images brings me back to when my mom use to have huge jars of random buttons… the endless rainy days looking at them. Thank you for bringing this memory back to me.”
“My grandmother and my mom had button jars. I wish I had them now – I love old buttons.”
“I remember my grandmother’s button box. It was so fun and inspiring to go through: buttons had such character then.”
“My late mum use to have a tin full of them..”
“I have my own button box as I used to love to sew. Many are extras when you bought a jacket, pants, or shirt in case you lost a button. We used to use my aunt’s button box who operated a cleaners/alteration business in Southaven when we played Bingo at family reunions. Memories of all our button boxes!”
“Love button boxes. When I was a little girl I would ask my mom if I could look through her button box. It was a little treasure chest. I’ve picked up a few vintage tins full of vintage buttons at thrift stores and flea markets”
“When I was really little my grandmother kept her buttons in a draw of her treadle sewing machine. It was a short drawer so of course we always pulled too much and buttons spilled everywhere. She never got mad at us. I love that memory.”
It truly amazes me what will touch someone… and when some photos we take do that – is it so rewarding!
That is where this workshop was born out of. I want to tell stories with my photos that touch others. I want to share that journey with you and see what captures your imagination as you go through this workshop and the assignments I have for you. And then I don’t want you to stop there. I want you to continue this journey and create your own setups with the things you learned in this workshop. I want you to look at a set and give me all the interesting details and pullbacks to create a beautiful series that tells a story only as you can.
Photos with stories are more interesting. People love looking at and engaging with photos that really speak to them. That brings forth a memory, makes you stop and look around at the details, that pull you in. I am so excited to bring you this workshop on creating stories in a series. I’ll be focused on creating in pairs… diptychs… duets if you wish… but for every setup I do… you’ll find multiple pairs… and this to me is what builds up to a great series.
In this workshop, we are going to focus on the whole set, the details, and the stories behind the sets we create. I want you to deep dive into the projects and really come away with a body of work you can be proud of.
Who is this workshop good for? Photographers who are ready to kick their photo practice up a notch. In this workshop, we go beyond the basics and I help you push your skills to the next level with new ideas and so much more.
**You have lifetime access to this workshop – Workshop videos are available for you to download and keep.
Your workshop includes approx 9+ hours of video content in this workshop (40+ videos).
In this workshop, we are going to focus on telling better stories and creating a series out of our sets by focusing on the details as well as the whole sets.
- We’ll get started with a few basics – while this is not necessarily a beginner workshop where we do a complete deep dive into the basics – I do cover the most important aspects that I think you’ll want to be focusing on including: camera settings, equipment options, lighting, composition, backgrounds, my go-to props for studio shooting, finding your style, and creating interesting captions.
- I have so many good ideas and assignments for telling your stories that you will really enjoy getting creative with your setups and camera!
- For every setup, I’ll go through the set, take you through the photos I took, and do a bit of editing to get your creativity flowing.
- We’ll start this workshop out by going through our photo catalog of past photos we’ve taken. I want you to wander through the years and see what pairs you can come up with that you have already taken.
- Then I want you to start building up a new body of work. Purposely focused on creating new stories that you can showcase.
- These assignments are great whether you prefer studio shooting or going out and shooting on location. You can fit any of the themes to whichever shooting style you prefer.
- I have an online Facebook group for sharing your work – and I want to see what you are creating – so don’t be shy… come and show us the stories you are creating!
I’ve also included some fantastic bonuses for this class…
- Bonus – Selling your art. I have so many people ask me questions about selling their art and asking for more info in the workshop on things they might consider for having a small art business… that I decided now was the time to include a whole section on selling your art to get you started. I have lots of great tips and some good resources for you to check out from all the years I have had my own internet art business. I hope you’ll check out some of the things I have for you in this workshop and get inspired to put a few of your own pieces out there for sale! (If you’ve seen the mini-workshop in Texture Club on selling your art – this workshop pulls from that information and expands on it! No since in reinventing the wheel when I’ve already got so much good information from over the years!)
- Bonus – You get my new Duets Preset collection which is compatible with Lightroom 7.3 and up, Camera Raw, and Photoshop Classic & CC. (Note: Not compatible with older versions of Lightroom) (If you don’t use Lightroom or Photoshop – no problem. These are simply a bonus I have added in for those who do to give a spin. You can edit in any program you feel comfortable in.)
- Bonus – You also get the new Duets Texture Collection – a really beautiful set that includes 30 textures perfect for adding fun details to your photography. (Don’t use Photoshop? No problem. You can use textures in any program that allows for layers, as you will layer a texture on top of your photo.)
Check out what students are saying about my other workshops in our workshop group:
“So excited! You always give double-plus in your workshops.
”I really love all of the thoughts and variations you share while you’re in the process of shooting and cropping.”
“This will be my 4th 2Lil Owls course and I have loved every one. Being new to photography Denise’s workshops were just what I needed to jump-start my adventures. I learned so much but the best part was I had fun!! You won’t be disappointed.”
“Congratulations… you are a wonderful, generous teacher… and always passionate about what you do. I’m sure this will be another hit!”
“Yay!!! That’s exactly the workshop I want!!”
“I credit Denise Love with helping to take my photography to the next level. My images definitely went wa-a-ay higher with her classes. She’s so relaxed and explains things in a clear and easy manner. Worth every penny to me!”
“Cracking the Color Code Workshop is so intense! In a good way. There is just so much to learn… My eyes are opened and I’m seeing my art much differently…Thank you, Denise Love. This workshop is so valuable and full of information I will use forever! You are the best!!!”
“I honestly didn’t think I needed a course on colors. I just took “Cracking the Color Code” for inspiration. However, I can’t even begin to tell you how much I’m learning! Denise Love @2lilowlsstudio is such a great teacher and encourager.”
“I just finished the lesson on “Color Inspiration Magazines”. It is amazing! I feel as if my head wants to pop because of all the wonderful ideas and information presented in that segment. It has totally inspired me! For the last few weeks been feeling as if I reached the end of being creative as I could not come up with still life ideas. So so inspirational!”
“I’m loving the new color course! Your images are always So gorgeous, and So inspiring. Your courses have helped me to move forward with my photography SO much. Thank you so very much! You are one very talented and generous lady!!!”
“Finished my last two of four days work on the monochromatic lesson. Again, I cannot say how much I am enjoying the workshop. Denise, I don’t know if you are really aware of the monsters for art that you’ve created.”
“Have watched all the videos – was like a book I couldn’t put down! Amazing amazing workshop! Now to gather some supplies. Thanks so much for the enormous amount of research you did – just incredible.
“I’ve waited anxiously to get this workshop and got it yesterday and very excited! I started watching it yesterday and I have to work this weekend, but with Monday being a snowstorm guess what I’m doing!”
“Denise, I am loving your still life courses, I’ve already learned so much.”
“I had an “aha” moment while studying these videos… Look for the soft diffused light… use the light… reflect the light… bend the light… it’s really all about that light!”
“I have been working on your food workshop videos! They are so well presented!! You did an AWESOME job!!! :)”
“Creative Flowers Workshop. Fluttering Petals technique. This workshop has stirred something in me.”
“I’m loving the Still Stories Workshop! The section on lighting was a game-changer for me as I’ve always done photography outdoors and didn’t really know how to work with indoor light.”
Once you make your purchase – your course will be available for you immediately. You will access your course under the “my courses” tab up top under the “my account” tab.
You must be logged in to view your course. All of the videos are available for download for you to keep. I provide a Vimeo link below each video – which will allow you to access the Vimeo video page for your download options.
*This course has lifetime access (This means you can continue to access this course for the lifetime of this website and all of the videos are available for you to download and keep!).