“Telling yourself you have all the time in the world, all the money in the world, all the colors in the palette, anything you want – that just kills creativity.” -Jack While (Steak Like An Artist)
What would you do if you could only work with a few colors in your photography? I think you would learn to be more creative and push past the boundaries you have placed on yourself. Boundaries you may not even realize you have. By limiting yourself and your colors you actually learn to think outside the box. You figure out how to create more from those limitations. Instead of looking at all the colors, all the props, all the things you could use – and getting paralyzed with too many choices – you actually open up yourself to more creativity and ideas.
I have personally had this realization for myself not too long ago. The thing that finally let me get out of my own way was working in color palettes, stories and limiting my choices. My work this year has shifted in new directions. I have created some things I am personally very proud of and can see the growth in my art as a result.
I created this workshop for that exact reason. I want you to see how focusing on color and limiting your choices leads you to growth and more dynamic photos.
I am so excited to bring you this workshop on color. I took many color focused classes in college years ago. Color and color theory as it related to interiors. How they make you feel when you see certain colors and how they affect your mood in the spaces you live in. I have been studying color palettes and working with them extensively in my paintings in the past few years and I have recently begun to really focus on color for my photography. Learning to push my creativity by limiting the colors I am using has helped me push my photography up another notch and create some beautiful things I didn’t realize I had in me. I think by limiting your choices you actually push your creativity further and create things you wouldn’t have created otherwise. I really love focusing on color now and I cannot wait to have you join me on this journey.
Who is this workshop good for? Photographers, artists, any creatives – who want to learn to use color better in their photography. We are going to deep dive into color and color theory and you are going to love jumping in and limiting yourself to open up new ideas.
**You have lifetime access to this workshop – Workshop videos are available for you to download and keep.
Cracking The Color Code
Your workshop includes both video and written information. There are approx 5 1/2 hours of video content in this workshop. This workshop is very shoot-centered so you will have lots of content and ideas to help you on your path to making the color a very important element in your photography.
In this workshop we will go over the basics and more:
- We’ll start out our workshop with a little bit of self-discovery. What colors do you love and what influences those choices.
- We will cover all the basics of color – What is color?, Hue, Saturation, Value, Tint, Tone, and Shade.
- We will go into color theory and I’ll go through each of the colors meanings in-depth. You’ll love seeing each color and the feelings they invoke. It will be interesting if you can look at the colors and relate!
- We’ll deep dive into color stories. I’ll cover the basics, color harmony, key color, monochromatic color, analogous color, complementary color, neutral colors, split complementary, triad color, tetrad color, and random interesting palettes. I have tons of examples that will leave you feeling inspired and ready to try some of these color stories for yourself.
- We’ll cover color and composition. How to make an impact with the composition, using the rule of thirds, golden spiral, centered, diagonal/golden triangle, and leading lines as they relate to a stronger composition with color.
- We’ll learn about creating mood with color. We’ll talk about styling, lighting, backgrounds, texture, and editing as they relate to making a strong impact with the colors you choose.
- I’ll show you tons of resources for finding color inspiration.
- I’ll give you a template and show you how to use it – so you can create some color palettes from your own photos. (These are Photoshop/Photoshop Elements PSD templates – so if you don’t use photoshop – not to worry – I have a few other choices for you to be able to use and still make some cool color palettes for yourself.
- And we’ll do many color studies to get you started on your color journey.
- This is a very shoot-oriented workshop with many great assignments designed to get you thinking about each topic and applying them to your own photography.
- I’ve also included a fantastic BONUS for this class… You get my entire Seasons ACR Preset collections (the Spring/Summer and the Fall/Winter collections – includes ACR files for Photoshop and Lightroom 7.3 and up) – a $134 value if you purchase these sets separately. I am using these collections in class to demonstrate how I use editing and color to make stronger photos and I thought you’d love to try these sets out too. (No substitutions on these collections) *Note: Not compatible with older versions of Lightroom.
This workshop is very resource-heavy. Tons of research information, projects, and video content. I spent months pulling together all the wonderful content for this workshop and I am super excited to see how you are going to use this content to push your photography to the next level!
Check out what students are saying about the workshops in our workshop group:
“Cracking the Color Code Workshop is so intense! In a good way. There is just so much to learn… My eyes are opened and I’m seeing my art much differently…Thank you, Denise Love. This workshop is so valuable and full of information I will use forever! You are the best!!!”
“I honestly didn’t think I needed a course on colors. I just took “Cracking the Color Code” for inspiration. However, I can’t even begin to tell you how much I’m learning! Denise Love @2lilowlsstudio is such a great teacher and encourager.”
“I just finished the lesson on “Color Inspiration Magazines”. It is amazing! I feel as if my head wants to pop because of all the wonderful ideas and information presented in that segment. It has totally inspired me! For the last few weeks been feeling as if I reached the end of being creative as I could not come up with still life ideas. So so inspirational!”
“I’m loving the new colour course! Your images are always So gorgeous, and So inspiring. Your courses have helped me to move forward with my photography SO much. Thank you so very much! You are one very talented and generous lady!!!”
“Finished my last two of four days work on the monochromatic lesson. Again, I cannot say how much that I am enjoying the workshop. Denise, I don’t know if you are really aware of the monsters for art that you’ve created.”
“Have watched all the videos – was like a book I couldn’t put down! Amazing amazing workshop! Now to gather some supplies. Thanks so much for the enormous amount of research you did – just incredible.
“I’ve waited anxiously to get this workshop and got it yesterday and very excited! I started watching it yesterday and I have to work this weekend, but with Monday being a snowstorm guess what I’m doing!”
“Denise, I am loving your still life courses, I’ve already learned so much.”
“I had an “aha” moment while studying these videos… Look for the soft diffused light… use the light… reflect the light… bend the light… it’s really all about that light!”
“I have been working on your food workshop videos! They are so well presented!! You did an AWESOME job!!! :)”
“Creative Flowers Workshop. Fluttering Petals technique. This workshop has stirred something in me.”
“I’m loving the Still Stories Workshop! The section on lighting was a game-changer for me as I’ve always done photography outdoors and didn’t really know how to work with indoor light.”
Once you make your purchase – your course will be available for you immediately. You will access your course under the “my courses” tab up top under the “my account” tab.
You must be logged in to view your course. All of the videos are available for download for you to keep. I provide a Vimeo link below each video – which will allow you to access the Vimeo video page for your download options.
*This course has lifetime access (This means you can continue to access this course for the lifetime of this website and all of the videos are available for you to download and keep!).